Education and EMED Features Added BOTHELL, WA - June 12, 2008 - SonoSite, Inc., (Nasdaq:SONO), the world leader and specialist in hand-carried ultrasound for the point-of-care, announced today the first expansion of capabilities for the powerful M-Turbo™ system. The expanded platform includes four new transducers addressing anesthesia, surgery, venous access, musculoskeletal and adult and pediatric cardiology applications, plus further enhancements to emergency medicine documentation worksheets. It also enables playback on the M-Turbo system of the revolutionary SonoSite Education Key™ program training modules. Existing customers can easily upgrade their systems via a software download from a USB thumb drive. Customer shipments began this week.
"Ten years of focus and specialization on addressing the needs of clinicians at the point-of-care underlie the innovation of the M-Turbo system and its sister product line, the S Series™ ultrasound tools, that we introduced just a few months ago," said Kevin M. Goodwin, SonoSite President and CEO. "These products continue our tradition of setting a new performance benchmark in the industry. As exemplified by the new capabilities announced today, we continue to be committed to rapidly bringing innovations to our customers that help them deliver the best in patient care." New Transducers Together with the new transducers, the M-Turbo system now offers a total of 11 transducers to cover the full range of clinical and procedural guidance applications at the point-of-care. New transducers include:
- P10x/8-4 MHz Phased Array Transducer for pediatric cardiac, abdominal and head scanning. Its small footprint is superb for scanning neonatal head anatomy.
- SLAx/13-6 MHz Surgical Linear Array Transducer for superficial imaging and musculoskeletal, vascular, nerve and venous applications. It is also ideal for pediatric regional anesthesia applications including peripheral and neuroaxial blocks and line placement.
- TEEx/8-5 MHz Transesophageal Transducer for multiplane scans and provides a 180 degree view of adult cardiac anatomy. Both this transducer and the new D2x/2 MHz Continuous Wave Transducer are also compatible with the MicroMaxx® system.
Education Key for Training at the Point-of-Care Leveraging the integration of Texas Instruments' multimedia DaVinci™ technology, SonoSite's Education Key program is available on a USB thumb drive that can be played right on the M-Turbo system itself. The Education Key features clinical training videos with market specific versions for anesthesiology, emergency medicine and critical care. The M-Turbo system training modules are also available to help new users quickly learn how to optimize the system. SonoSite's Education Key program can also be played on PC and MAC® computers and will be available soon for the S Series products
Emergency Medicine Worksheets
New worksheet reports to aid in credentialing and billing for obstetric and procedural applications are now available and have been added to the existing selection of worksheets for the FAST, AAA, renal and gallbladder exams as well as for draining and access procedures. Worksheets and reports easily transfer as an HTML file to either a PC or MAC computer for viewing, printing and email.
Strong Market Response
Formally introduced in October 2007 at medical meetings and congresses, physicians have enthusiastically responded to the following features of SonoSite's M-Turbo platform:
- Outstanding Image Quality - The M-Turbo system's advanced processing power is 16x more powerful than its industry leading MicroMaxx® system, and utilizes the new, advanced SonoADAPT™, SonoHD™, and SonoMB™ technologies for dramatic improvements in image quality;
- State-of-the-Art Connectivity - SonoSite engineers worked with Texas Instruments to integrate its DaVinci technology and Microsoft to integrate its Windows Embedded CE 6.0 operating system for seamless data transfer and connectivity. Clinicians can export images easily from the new products to a USB storage device in standard PC formats - MPEG4 (H.264), JPEG, HTML and BMP - for review or storage on PC or Mac® computers;
- Designed for Point-of-Care Demands - Like SonoSite's earlier products, the M-Turbo system and SonoSite manufactured transducers are designed to withstand a 3-foot drop onto a hard surface, have sealed surfaces that can be wiped down with disinfectant and boot within seconds of a cold start; and
- Landmark Warranty - The M-Turbo products and SonoSite manufactured transducers carry the same, unprecedented 5-year warranty that SonoSite introduced with the launch of the MicroMaxx system in 2005.
SonoSite, Inc. (www.sonosite.com) is the innovator and world leader in hand-carried ultrasound. Headquartered near Seattle, the company is represented by ten subsidiaries and a global distribution network in over 100 countries. SonoSite's small, lightweight systems are expanding the use of ultrasound across the clinical spectrum by cost-effectively bringing high performance ultrasound to the point of patient care. The company employs over 600 people worldwide.